"Reaching the Heart of your Child"- Meeting Recap


Reaching the Heart of your Child
by Ginger Hubbard
 written by Nina Lydon

The other day I was on my own in the grocery store. (Pretty much like a mini mom-vacation to me!) It was the day before Easter and it seemed like the whole world was out, I was lucky to sneak away for a few moments. As I was standing in the checkout line in a very crowded, very noisy Wal-Mart, I heard it. The screeching. The unmistakable screeching of a disgruntled toddler. It carried throughout the store and after a few minutes of non-stop wailing it was clear the child would not be pacified. I watched the mother carry the child kicking and screaming out of the store walking past about 80 people, her face blankly staring trying to ignore the people watching her and shuffling uncomfortably in their spots.

My heart went out to her and I turned to the mom behind me and said “Man, I’ve been there before.” “Me too honey, with all three of mine” she sweetly replied. Several other moms around agreed that they too have faced the terrors of a toddler tantrum. They are unavoidable sometimes, a late nap, missed meal, or just sheer three-year-old stubbornness, and suddenly you and your toddler are having a showdown in the middle of aisle nine.

 Every Mom has her own form of discipline, what works for them and their household. Our speaker Ginger Hubbard introduced us to “Reaching the heart of your child”. Teaching us that children like all of us are born sinners, and that the foundation of behavior begins in the heart. Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”. Ginger made the statement that we must get them to think right, not just act right.



During her speaking session it was like a lightbulb went of in my head. I found myself sitting there shaking my head (YES!) to each situation laid out before us. Is your child Whining. YES. Interrupting. YES. Being Loud and disruptive. YES. Tattle-taling. Yes, yes, YES!Also I know I’ve been guilty of all the tactics we use to quiet a misbehaving or disruptive child. I mean, Bribing or reasoning with my Stubborn 4-year-old is how I get through a grocery shopping trip, and if I’m honest with myself a few threats make it in there too.

Ginger Hubbard talked about Changing the heart vs. just changing the behavior. If you can change the heart the behavior will change on its own. Most children learn to behave out of a fear of punishment or a promise of a reward instead of behaving just because that is what is right. Our objective as parents must be drawing out our child’s true intentions by listening to them and using heart probing questions to get to the root of what is going on. For example, if your toddler is having a tough time with sharing, the root cause may actually be selfishness. Pointing this out to them in a loving, Christ centered way will help them to recognize selfishness in themselves in the future. We don’t want kids to grow up to please man, we want them to grow up to please Christ.

The idea of “Reaching the heart of your child” resonated with me in this meeting. In our household we worship Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. We know that he came to earth and died on the cross to save us from our sins. Which means, that while we deserve the punishment of our sins, Jesus stepped in the gap. He marked us essentially “Not Guilty”. I now as an adult, regularly search my heart, my mind, my words, my intentions and my actions to make sure they line up with what Christ has intended for my life. I had not thought to do this for my children. I teach my them bible stories and songs, and we attend church together as a family. I thought I was raising them to love and honor Christ, but I wasn’t actively reaching for their hearts. I wasn’t teaching them that their behavior also needs to honor Christ. I just assumed the adage that “kids will be kids”. I am glad ginger brought up these points so I can now teach my children, through heart probing questions and role playing, to examine their own actions and intentions.


God has bestowed us moms with the most precious gift, our children. It has got to be the hardest job out there, raising these small replicas of ourselves. There are a million different ways to do it. It’s easy to beat ourselves up for not being “perfect”. Keep in mind that He has also given us grace in the moments when we feel overwhelmed and underappreciated. His grace covers a multitude of our shortcomings and failures. His Love covers us in all moments good and bad. So, the next time your toddler throws a tantrum in the middle of a grocery store remember 2 Corinthians 12:9 “My grace is sufficient for thee; for my strength is made perfect in weakness.”
~ Nina

If you want to read more on Ginger Hubbard, visit her at https://www.gingerhubbard.com/



Comments

Popular Posts